May 18, 2004

Labour of Love

We are soon moving into a new house. I am particularly elated by its tranquil setting close to the jungle but of course, there is a lot of work ahead of us. I started with painting today and when I texted my mum I made an enlightining mistake. In Czech the verb ‘to paint’ (malovat) is, except for a single letter, exactly the same as the verb ‘to love’ (milovat). I found myself writing about ‘loving the new house’ rather than ‘painting the new house’ and it dawned on me that the two things are closely intertwined. As I put more and more into it my affection for the place is growing.

However, this is true generally. Through the labour I grow in love and as I become more loving I am able and willing, too, to labour ever harder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home