July 19, 2004

Everything here is big

It's been now for some time a source of amusement to see how some people in this culture strive for bigness. Yet again, it dawned on me today that it may have much to do with the environment.
 
I was reading a book outside our house when I spotted a lizard crawling undisturbed along the road. It was well over 1m long and I could hardly gasp in utter amazement at the sight. When it disappeared I recalled another incident with local fauna.
 
It was just another morning in Alor Star. I switched on the aircon in my office and it gave me a weird sound in response. After a second, however, a centipede perhaps 15cm big fell out of it. I drew back immediately and called for help. They took it and killed it. I remember I wasn't sure if it was good but they said it was poisonous...
 
I think, after all
that with my height
this place for me
is the one and right.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home