May 26, 2004

Dear Mistake

It gives me goose pimples when I start to think of the tremendous learning I am a tiny part of. As I put it to my friends in Scotland, I’m trying to pass on what I’ve been given so far – a wee bit of English and a lot of myself. The more I learn about learning, the more I realize the paramount importance of mistake. Such a simple thing with such vast consequences for the whole process of learning. Some of us – and I used to be one like that – seem to fear their mistakes to such an extent that they try to steer clear of whatever might involve them in making mistakes.

Now, I feel it is high time we changed this mindset. Learners must embrace their mistakes with affection and warmth if they are to set out on an exciting journey of learning. Therefore, I mean to give some of my shiest teen students voluntary homework. I will give them a simple sentence and tell them to rewrite it and try to make as many mistakes as they can at the same time. Absurd as it may seem, it will prove obvious, I believe, that the biggest mistake they can make is to produce or attempt nothing at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home