November 14, 2004

Hari Raya

Malaysia is often described as an Islamic country. This is a little simplified description as, for example, I've been for the past 8 months almost completely separated from the Malay Muslim majority. Nevertheless, it is hard to miss that today is Hari Raya which marks the end of Ramadan.

The first day of Ramadan was special for me and so was, in its own way, the last. For the second time only in Malaysia I went to a church. To be honest, I was appalled that the preacher did not care to mention Hari Raya at all. He called for unity within the Christian community but remained oblivious to the fact that mosques are besieged by shocking numbers of beggars these days. Maybe I expected him to call for broader unity and mutual understanding, but then by going to church I was probably just like him.

The climax of the day was a symbolic one. I found myself staring at Kedah's paddy fields from the top of Gunung Jerai, as if a God's window was wide opened yet again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home