November 08, 2004

Students-centred Classroom

I'd been absolutely positive up until last Sunday that the U-shape organization of desks in the classroom is the best option available. There are a few reasons to support this view, such as that all students have a good view of the teacher and her mouth in particular all the time, but I came to realize that's the old teacher-centred approach.

I handed over a class of intermediate teenage students who I struggled with enormously to a more experienced teacher. She immediately moved the desks together in order to form two groups sitting around and facing each other rather than the teacher. Apparently, she did only pairwork/groupwork activities and the class seemed a huge success. I was having my class next door and I could hardly concentrate as I was wondering what kind of magic tricks she used.

After that I decided to give it a try with my 6-8 year olds and it had me weep before the class when I saw one of the shiest girls with a smile on her face, utterly intrigued by the new arrangement.

Obviously, such a thing can never make the class unless it comes hand in hand with appropriate activities but I'm going to have a shot at it, especially with teenage classes.

1 Comments:

At 4:56 am, Blogger Sean said...

I do the same thing. Actually my students are all trained to move the desks into blocks and sit in groups of four before I arrive. It still took two weeks of training even though they are university students.

Enjoy the new layout and have fun making new activities.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home