September 09, 2004

Rolling Stone

I felt I made a few mistakes today. I felt it was a bad day. When I reflected on it, however, I realized I could learn a great deal from it. The mistakes came to me with a message which I can clearly see now. The message in turn gave birth to an idea. I feel grateful.

Every day I feel it’s becoming ever more urgent for me to change. When I started to work here I was practically the only and arguably the most important teacher. I got used to bearing the responsibility as I was involved in virtually every decision. I was exceptionally successful and I feel grateful for that.

However, it’s high time I stepped down. I’m not anymore the only one here and I must therefore not assume the whole responsibility. I must let the others enjoy some space to grow and support them on their quest for greater independence.

I’ve been saying ever since I arrived in Malaysia that I would leave once I reach the climax. For a fleeting while today I thought this might be it. The business in Bukit Mertajam is on the right track and there is not much left to work on. On the other hand, the situation in Alor Star is a far cry from what we enjoy in Bukit Mertajam. So I will probably leave for Alor Star where I’ll have to start nearly from scratch.

In the meantime, of course, I will work on building our team. I by no means intend to shrug off the challenge. No, I helped build something tremendous and I must give it up. I’ll try to help build something new and give it up again when the time is ripe. This power to give up is a miraculous gift which I feel grateful for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home