September 19, 2004

Vocation

Strangely enough, though I still have a year or so to go I often think of leaving Malaysia these days and however distant the thought is, it is very intense and it invariably makes me cry. I don’t want to leave my children, I don’t want to leave the job. I’ve tried out a few things so far and this one makes a great sense to me. Maybe, just maybe... Is this my vocation, something I’m called on to do in my life?

While I was thinking this question over a few more cropped up: Can I work as an English teacher at home or am I bound to stay abroad? What sort of qualification do I need then to stay competitive?

There’s no decision I have to make now, but I need to get prepared.

2 Comments:

At 12:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to read that you aren't happy in Malaysia and I hope it isn't anything to do with the country or its people. I guess the trip to the temples on the hill didn't work out for you.

I am a teacher living in Butterworth and stumbled onto your blog while going a search on the use of blogs in teaching writing.

Cheer up, nothing is totally darkness. Nothing lasts forever.

 
At 9:05 pm, Blogger Jiri said...

Thanks for your comment. Of course, there are a few things that get me down now and then but it's not that I'm generally unhappy. Far from it, while exploring my feelings and thoughts I tend to go over the top - just in case there was something deeper to it. I like playing with both the emotions and the language.

At the end of the day, just looking at some of my pictures puts things immediately into perspective (see the latest). I'm absolutely positive I'm a part of something tremendous and I feel resourceful enough to be able to persevere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home