August 03, 2004

Unlearning gives way to learning

Back in England I was often wondering why Andrew, my best 'classroom teacher' ever, supressed his own opinions and beliefs while talking to his students.

I've been always a somewhat opinionated person and now I realized I ought to do as he always did. It is precisely because voicing my own opinions inhibits the students. True, I strive for more than language learning as it is all too often clear that without wider personal development students cannot learn much (see Dear Mistake). Nevertheless, the language should always have a priority and so I must unlearn the habit of speaking my mind in the classroom.


1 Comments:

At 6:15 pm, Blogger Sean said...

This is so true of myself as well. I now avoid certain topics as I will end up controlling the room and talking to much. Students will not learn much and may feel resentful if my opinions are not what they expect especially when I am critical of Korea.

Great post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home