January 29, 2005

Rice is ripe and the fields on fire

It's been a year since I started to explore faith and Christianity in particular for myself. I dared put together some rather crazy ideas and when I confronted Alastair with them some serious question marks cropped up. Alastair however suggested I read Provocations by Soren Kierkegaard.

I've started just now, on the way to Alor Setar, a journey much dreaded as Alor Setar for me is still a mixture of joy of being with the kids there and depression of being alone and having to sleep overnight in the office.

Alastair is undoubtedly a great leader because the first thing that struck my eyes was this thought:

Early in his life, Kierkegaard made the discovery that one must “find a truth which is true for me – the idea for which I can live and die.”

Provocations, Spiritual Writings of Kierkegaard, Compiled and Edited by Thomas Moore


I remember my university professor, whose field is system theory, saying that there is no objective or universal truth. He was right. Our lives are all so unique that no matter how much we learn from others, unless we struggle to apply it to our individual conditions, it is to little avail.

This must be a particularly great discovery for all would-be leaders as it teaches to respect more others and their individual conditions. Now I better understand why Scott M. Peck said that leaders should encourage other people to choose paths they would never choose for themselves.

Absolutely, it is not about convincing others of our truth but rather encouraging them to seek their own. How?

By being more humble and less narcissistic?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home