January 02, 2005

2nd half

With the beginning of 2005, the second half of my current job is just about to begin and I'm asking myself how I can get more out of it. Undoubtedly, there are both personal and professional matters to work on and improve.

Speaking about the latter, I think I should take on a formal leadership role. There are hints this may be necessary to take place very soon and this time I won't resist like I did before. I'd refused it out of fear of breaking equality with the other teachers and becoming unpopular. However, I should accept it now precisely because I'm able and willing, too, to think of the school as a whole. I can see the organisation and the underlying system and it is certainly not asking me to be popular.

One thing which helped convince me is a past meeting experience. One of the teachers was arguing for more regular meetings only to discuss in a rather self-centred manner relatively minor issues to do with office supplies. After that I started to talk about overall performance and quality issues in line with long-term planning. This debate took up about an hour but didn't get much interest from that teacher. The striking gap between the level on which we perceive the organisation can now be justifiably reflected into our organizational structure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home