July 06, 2005

Blind

One thing I didn't blog about despite its significance is my recent visit to St Nicholas Home for the Blind. I greatly appreciate the meaning of putting myself in someone else's shoes and always look for such opportunities. Hence I was glad I could at last attend the programme.

First, we got some training on guiding the blind and then practiced the skills with blindfolds on the way to a nearby shopping mall (incidentally, what's the British English equivalent for 'shopping mall'?). After that, we had a short session interacting with some severely handicapped children.


The boy on the picture was pretty amazing because his only means of communication was his hands.

2 Comments:

At 11:38 pm, Blogger Andy said...

Good to see you're getting to experience another part of life.

 
At 10:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The British equivalent of a 'mall' would be a 'shopping centre'. However, to paraphrase Shaketh-his-speare, even calling a rose by another name doesn't make it smell any better.^^

Seems you're doing a good job out there! A Spanish friend recently attended a course on helping blind people, undergoing similar blindfolded tasks. It is, I hear, quite an eye-opener.

P.S. Any chance of a Malaysian version of the "You've been in X too long when..." theme?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home