July 02, 2005

System theory in practice

The system theory has it that esentially everything is a system. No wonder then that the globe or rainforests, for example, are often referred to as eco-systems. Countries, firms, families – these are all institutionalized systems. As with critical thinking, though, people vary in the degree to which they are able to perceive systems and the patterns and relationships operating within. This ability is closely linked to one's knowledge and experience but there is also something which I would call willingness and determination to leave simplicity behind and step into the high complexity and ambiguity of such systems.

Did you notice, for example, that Japan and other pro-whaling nations were beaten hands down at the IWC meeting in Korea two weeks ago? Then, you might have a good perception of the global eco-system. You may admire the beauty of whales but more importantly, you are likely to acknowledge the importance of these creatures and appreciate the struggle to protect them as a symbol for other much less low-profile fights.

Previously, I touched on how I suffered throughout my childhood. I did not mention however that it was in large part a silent suffering. Once I reached the age when children start to revolt, our family, from my point of view, had already had enough problems and so I didn't want to cause more and accepted “Speech is silver, but silence is golden” as my own motto. I never spoke up against things I thought unfair and, in effect, resorted to a solution which started to impinge on my personal development - certainly not rare a phenomenon of many less fortunate families. On the up side though, unconsciously though it may have been, I did it to help preserve the system when it might possibly have been on the brink of collapse. In other words, at that age already I could perceive the system.

Now I painfully realize how I have developed this into one bad habit and perpetuated it up till now when the organization is falling apart here. We would certainly make an excellent case study for any organizational behaviour analyst. I noted before that I don't know how to stand up for my own rights but I would always try to stand up for the others. That is not healthy at all. My glass of patience has been filled up to the very rim and I started to feel there is something unfair. Clearly, as the most senior teacher I played my own part in all this mess but when my fellows started to threat with ultimatums in order to get benefits for themselves and the boss gave in I couldn't but start to wonder as to the meaning of such a message. I was afraid that silence ceased to be golden for me...

I brought up this issue with him and his elder brother and what I got in return may well be the most valuable personal and cultural lesson so far. I believe my boss sincerely, like me after all, did not know he could have managed things differently. He did not always try his best but that would be a different story. I came to realize my crying for fairness would have been very untimely as it would have only killed the relationship. I could see the boss deeply hurt and acting in 'black and white mode'. That is where Chinese culture came in. I conciously decided to bite my tongue since I was also aware that any short term profit would not make me happy at all. What makes me happy is working for the big idea and that I will try to continue. For obvious reasons though, this attitude does not seem to earn much appreciation, especially from those who are not aware as much of systems and so are not ready to sacrifice anything. One of the most brilliant articles I know about such people is War x 4 by George Monbiot.

As ever, of course, it is a matter of how one can balance things. When it is appropriate to defend your rights and when it is better to stay silent in order to let things run smooth and make a sacrifice for the sake of something bigger than yourself. Could you possibly picture someone who, fully aware of the global overpopulation, decides to take care of orphans rather than conceive their own children?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home