June 22, 2005

The meaning of poverty

During my 2-day visa hop to Singapore I met a bunch of trainees there and I was amazed by the luxury in which they live. The condo apartments alone would make my dream home. On the way back to Malaysia I had plenty of time on the bus to let my thoughts roam and while I was thinking of the grace which makes one decide to go there and another one over here I was reminded of the meaning of poverty. Poverty strips people off to the bones and tries them hard and that is precisely when true characters may emerge. This is not to say we experience any sort of poverty here but have definitely a closer feel of it. That is why my relationship with the other trainee is so bad. Our true characters emerged and we painfully realize how immature, individualistic and selfish we are.

On second thoughts, the beautiful apartment in which I stayed overnight would not actually at all make my home. Home, to me, is fulfilled heart and peace of mind and I feel I'm slowly getting there.

1 Comments:

At 3:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I entirely agree:
Too much comfort makes people reluctant to try new things or challenge their perceptions.

Not that I'm suggesting we should all live in hovels... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home